FOR THE CABERNET KETCHUP
- 1 Red onion; chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic; chopped
- 1 Tablespoon ginger; grated
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Pounds tomatoes; peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 Cups water
- 1/4 Cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Tom Gore Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 Tablespoon coriander seed; toasted
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seed; toasted
- 1 Tablespoon celery seed; toasted
- 1 Clove
- 1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon celery salt
- 2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
FOR THE FINGERLING POTATOES
- 2 Pounds fingerling potatoes
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 Cup parmesan cheese; grated
- Salt to taste
Yields: 8 servings
- In a large heavy bottomed sauce pan, on low heat, sweat onion, garlic, and ginger with the olive oil until onion is soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, make a bouquet garni, with the coriander seed, fennel seed, celery seed, and clove.
- Turn heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Reduce by half. Remove from heat.
- Place mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve into a new pot with the bouquet garni, sugar, wine, and vinegar. Add remaining spices. Simmer until it thickens and reaches the consistency of ketchup.
- Remove from heat and remove and discard the bouquet garni. Allow to cool.
- For potatoes, cut each potato in half length-wise and toss in the olive oil, salt, and paprika.
- On medium heat, place cut side down onto grill. Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until cook through. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with chilled ketchup.