Spring Parchment Baked Salmon with Fennel Yogurt Sauce
Pair with Tom Gore Vineyards Chardonnay
FOR THE POUCH
2 Asparagus stalks
1/2 Fennel bulb (reserve fonds for sauce)
1/2 Meyer lemon; thinly sliced and seeds removed
1 Tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
1/4 Cup shucked English peas
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Pea sprouts for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE SAUCE
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons fennel fronds; chopped
1 Tablespoon tarragon; chopped
Salt and pepper to taste Yields: 1 serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Fold a large piece of parchment paper diagonally in half to crease it; open, and lay it flat.
2. Using a mandolin, thinly shave shallots, asparagus, green garlic, and fennel. Slice lemon. Shuck English peas. Combine all the vegetables together and lightly toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. On one side of the fold, place the vegetables. Place salmon on top; drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
4. To close, fold parchment over salmon; fold edges over and crease, in order to create a sealed half-moon-shaped pouch. Place on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until salmon is opaque, 9-12 minutes.
5. While the packet is cooking, combine Greek yogurt, lemon juice, fennel fonds, salt and pepper. 6. Remove pouch from oven, open carefully, finish with fresh pea sprouts and serve with yogurt sauce.