Grilled Fingerlings and Cabernet Ketchup
Pair with Tom Gore Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
FOR THE CABERNET KETCHUP
1 Red onion; chopped
2 Cloves garlic; chopped
1 Tablespoon ginger; grated
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 Pounds tomatoes; peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 Cups water
1/4 Cup light brown sugar
1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
1/2 Cup Tom Gore Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
1 Tablespoon coriander seed; toasted
1 Tablespoon fennel seed; toasted
1 Tablespoon celery seed; toasted
1/4 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon celery salt
2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
FOR THE FINGERLING POTATOES
2 Pounds fingerling potatoes
1/4 Cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons smoked paprika
1/2 Cup parmesan cheese; grated
Salt to taste
Yields: 8 servings
1. In a large heavy bottomed sauce pan, on low heat, sweat onion, garlic, and ginger with the olive oil until onion is soft and translucent.
2. Meanwhile, make a bouquet garni, with the coriander seed, fennel seed, celery seed, and clove.
3. Turn heat to medium-high and add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Reduce by half. Remove from heat.
4. Place mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve into a new pot with the bouquet garni, sugar, wine, and vinegar. Add remaining spices. Simmer until it thickens and reaches the consistency of ketchup.
5. Remove from heat and remove and discard the bouquet garni. Allow to cool.
6. For potatoes, cut each potato in half length-wise and toss in the olive oil, salt, and paprika.
7. On medium heat, place cut side down onto grill. Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until cook through. Remove from heat.
8. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with chilled ketchup.